Monday, September 8, 2008

The Dark Knight Review

Hello cinemaniacs,

This past week anxiety flooded my soul as I shipped out a 6,000 piece direct mailing. I know that I missed you for a couple of days. Whew! I’m glad that it is finally over and I'm back.

Back on my grind doing what I enjoy. Write.

I usually check a movie out the first week it comes to theatres. This is not the case with the Dark Knight. The movie was out for a whole month or so before I went to see it.

What did I do all this time before going to see the movie?

I began reading articles from colleagues/mentors upon the Dark Knight. Listening to my Friends and co-workers singing praises about Heath Ledger and the movies greatness began to get to me. The Batman buzz became a terrifying thunder that could not be ignored.

So on a warm Saturday night at an 11:00 pm I met up with my lady and her two boys at the local AMC theatre to view the Dark Knight for myself. I am a Christopher Nolan fan who believes in his skills as a writer/director. It goes without saying that I have enjoyed every movie that Chris has written that I have seen.

In fact, I can recall the day I sat in my bedroom eating a veggie burger, sipping on ice cold lemonade and watching Batman Begins on DVD. I was literally blown away.

Chris stirred up in me a newly found love for Batman. I think that he really captured the essence of Batman such as never before seen on the silver screen.

The Dark Knight was an ok picture that you could upgrade to good because of its star power. The special effects were good and it rocked in IMAX. I think that the storyline was alright but I expected more from all of the hype about the flick. I think the movie is choppy. It seems to be missing smooth transitions.

The publicity for the movie was phenomenal. In the end I was subliminally persuaded to join in with the hundreds of thousands movie attendees to become a part of the Dark Knight experience. I got caught up in the hype. This is the second highest grossing film of all time. Chris Nolan disappointed me with this one. There were a few things he left undone from Batman Begins like whatever happened to the Bat cave and why was he operating from another location?

Now as far as Heath Ledger played a good Joker. Heath’s version was reminiscent of Caesar Romero’s version of the Joker on the Batman television series. Chris Nolan allowed the Joker to be as destructive and diabolical as he is supposed to be.

In my opinion Christian Bale is the best Batman that the cinema franchise has. He is followed by Michael Keaton. This is not to take anything away from anyone who has played batman in the past. I say this because he is the only one who truly captures the true essence of Batman.

In closing, the Batman franchise has now surpassed the Superman franchise on a cinematic scale and it seems that Batman is the new man of steel of the box office. LOL

What’s up with that DC?

P.S. Maybe you need Chris Noland to write and direct the script for the next Superman movie. That is of course if you have any plans of releasing another one.

No comments: