Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Hustler

Hello Ciemaniacs,

It's a beautiful day outside. Thursday is now officially Throwback Thursdays where I will discuss a few pictures from yesteryear.

When I think of the word hustler i think of a person who just so happens to be a con artist of some sort. I believe that a true hustler is one who possesses skills of the Yellow Kid Weil and can charm a snake.

I have watched many grifter pictures where con artists work their sleight of hand, hypnotic persuasion to get their way. I have seen some of the greats do their thing on the silver screen.

There are some that stand head and shoulders over the rest. Then there are hustler pictures that are just more heartfelt, deeper and more than meets the eye excellence.

I recently watched a 1961 film entitled the Hustler, which stars Paul Newman, Jackie Gleason and George C. Scott.

The Hustler tells the story of a pool hall junkie out to challenge Minnesota Fats to an all out game of pool.

Paul Newman plays pool hustler Eddie Felson, Jackie Gleason plays the flashy pool great Minnesota Fats. The plot is good, subplots are good, storyline is great, the acting is superb and it really pulls you into the story.

I have to say that this movie is nothing short of brilliant. I like to watch movies I enjoy more than one time to find something that I never saw the first. I can honestly say from watching it one time I believe it to be a brilliant masterpiece.

No comments: